DSA Desktop and Server Installation
How to Install DataSelf Desktop
DataSelf Desktop Installation
- Click DataSelf System Requirements for details.
- (For upgrades) Use Windows Uninstall Programs to uninstall the previous Desktop version
- Run the desktop installation file.
- If prompted, enter the extract password provided by DataSelf.
- Follow the prompts.
- Watch DataSelf Analytics Desktop - Open and Connect to Data to learn how to connect to your data.
DSA/Tableau Server - QuickList for Installation and Upgrades
Checklist and outline for installing or upgrading Tableau Server and Desktop.
Before You Install
- Click DataSelf System Requirements for details.
- On computer server: In Windows disable Internet Information Services (IIS)
- (For upgrade) backup DSA/Tableau Server folders
- (For upgrade) Open the "Configure DataSelf Analytics Server" Tableau Server Configuration and take screenshots of each tab
- Have ready:
- Run As User / password
- Registration # '(s)
- Email details (optional)
- Security certificate info (optional)
- Admin user(s) name(s)
DSA/Tableau Server Installation - Configurations
Run DSA or Tableau Server Installer.
- 1. General tab:
- change Run As User
- Local User or Active Directory (Usually Active Directory)
- Enable Automatic Login checked
- Sample Data NO
- 2 Data Connections tab
- 120 minutes, or more if there is time after the refresh, before users start using it.
- 3. Email tab - optional but recommended
- 4. SSL tab - optional
- 5. If the Configuration port reports as a problem, change it to 8000
After Running Installer
- In Server, Admin tab, Maintenance, last option, allow to remember logins
- Update registration, if more than one key
- Change Logo and text
- Update extract refresh options as follows:
- Edit any batch files that trigger an extract refresh. Update them to use the new path to Tableau\Bin.
- If TabCmd is installed in another server, update that installation
- If the refresh batch uses Tableau Desktop instead of TabCmd, the local Desktop will need to be upgraded, and the batch paths changed.
Set Up QA reports
DSA and Tableau Installation
Tableau Install and Upgrade Procedures from Tableau Software
See the additional instructions below for installing DSA Server, DSA Desktop and templates from DataSelf.
- Tableau Server Administrator Guide - instructions for installing and upgrading Tableau. The same instructions apply to DSA Server except as noted in the sections below: http://downloads.tableausoftware.com/quickstart/server-guides/en-us/server_admin80.pdf
- Upgrading Tableau Server: http://kb.tableausoftware.com/articles/knowledgebase/upgrading-tableau-server
DSA Server Installation
These instructions are in addition to the instructions for installing Tableau Server.
- Run As User rights:
- Usually we use the same user name and password for the DSBI ETL and DSA especially when the DSA Server and the ETL are installed on the same computer.
- Services: set Secondary Login service as Automatic (logon by Local System) and start it. (Other services will be added when DSA Server is installed.)
After Running DSA Installer
Change Logo (Branding)
Setting Up SSL Certificates and HTTPS: on a DSA Server
- Publish .tds (data source) files to DSA Server.
- New OOTB DSA Reports
- User Management in Active Directory Deployments. best practices with user management with active directory deployments: https://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/server/en-us/users_manage_ad.htm
Configuring a Proxy Server for DSA Server
The use of proxy servers is recommended because a proxy provides an extra layer of security between the internet and the DSA server.
- The reverse proxy is a server that receives requests from external (internet) clients and forwards them to Tableau Server.
- Both ordinary forward proxy servers and reverse proxy (a.k.a. gateway) servers sit between the client and the DSA server. A reverse proxy server appears to the client just like an ordinary web server - no special configuration of the client is necessary. http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_proxy.html#forwardreverse
- A typical usage of a reverse proxy is to provide Internet users access to a server that is behind a firewall.
- Configuring Reverse Proxy for Tableau Server (Configure a reverse proxy server): https://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/server/en-us/proxy.htm#
Publish multiple workbooks to server
Backup Server Files
Server Backup and Maintenance Automation http://kb.tableausoftware.com/articles/knowledgebase/server-maintenance?keywords=backup%20server%20options
- Open a command prompt as an administrator and type the following:
- cd “C:Files (x86)Server\8.0\bin”
- Create a backup file by typing
- tabadmin backup <filename> —stop-server -d
- <filename> is the name or location and name of your backup file.
- The -d option appends the date to the filename.
tabadmin backup C:—stop-server -d
The —stop-server option stops the server for the backup and then restarts it when it is done.