Prepare View for DSA AD
- 1 Using Desktop to Prepare the Workbook for DSA AD
Using Desktop to Prepare the Workbook for DSA AD
Create the View/worksheet with Tableau Desktop
- Prepare a view in a Tableau worksheet using DataSelf Analytics Desktop or Tableau Desktop.
- Copy the worksheet into a separate workbook dedicated solely for use by DSA AD. [You want to be sure that no one changes the workbook after it has been configured for use by DSA AD.)
- Give the worksheet a unique name - one that will not be confused with any other worksheet or report.
- Add a title that shows the value of the filter or filters that are to controlled by DSA AD. (Recommended)
- Add the refresh date ("Data current as of:") and the current date ("Run on: "). (Recommended)
- Publish the workbook to DataSelf Analytics Web Server or Tableau Server.
Prepare & Test the URL in Tableau web Server
- Open the workbook in DataSelf Analytics Web Server or Tableau Server.
- Copy the URL from the browser window to a text editor such as NotePad.
- Add the URL-Filter (a.k.a. query string) to the end of the URL. The query string is the the section of the URL that begins with a
- Copy and paste the full URL back to the web browser.
- Press enter or reload.
- Evaluate the view displayed by Tableau Server.
- Fix or adjust the URL as required. Rinse and repeat.
- When the URL is ready, copy the first part of the URL to the URL column of the .csv file, and the query string that begins with a ? to the URL- Filters column of the .csv file (DSA Commands Parameter File).
Dashboards vs. Normal Views
When to use a view or dashboard in DSA AD?
Dashboards: They offer more control of how to layout information on the screen. Dashboards work great when all information can fit in a fixed windows size (such as with charts). However, dashboards don't dynamically resize themselves. For instance, if you build a dashboard to show 30 lines of a view, but at one point this view has 35 lines, the bottom 5 lines won't show up on its AD's PDF file.
Views: Use views especially when a report has a dynamic number of rows and/or columns. When building views in Desktop, on the icon menu, set the drop-down to "Normal" and change the width of the view columns as needed.
Print Out Formatting
On Desktop menu: use File > Page Setup to select options such as:
- Portrait or Landscape
- Layout margins and centering
Titles That Show the Filters Used
We want the title of the view or worksheet to display the value of the filter used. Tableau Server does not create or maintain titles so we have to use DataSelf (Tableau) Desktop.
For instance, if a report is designed for SalesPerson ID 123 then we might want the title to read:
- Monthly Sales Report for SalesPerson 123.
- NOTE: The corresponding query string for this report might read
Configuring a worksheet's Title with DataSelf (Tableau) Desktop
- Be sure that the Desktop view is using the dimensions and measures that you want to include in the query's title. For instance, drag and drop System Info > DataRefreshedAsOf to the Tooltip shelf so you can post that refresh date/time to the view's title.
- On Desktop menu: Worksheet > Show Title.
- Right click on sheet title > Edit Title.
- Click Insert drop down and choose the dimension being used for filtering.
- Feel free to insert regular description to make the title easy to understand.
- Example: Code to enter into the Edit Title window
<Sheet Name> for Rep ID=<Rep ID>, data refresh at <DataRefreshedAsOf>