Preparing the Host Server: CheckList
Client Checklist for Preparing the Host Server
A checklist of the required configuration of the computer server platform or platforms hosting the DataSelf BI solution.
Target audience: IT professional, DataSelf BI reseller, computer literate client familiar with installing and configuring enterprise software.
Windows User Security
- Setup a admin user for the DataSelf BI solution. A local or domain admin user that will be the SQL "logon" user for SQL services. (Will also be used as "run as" user for DSA Server.)
- The user should be dedicated to DataSelf BI so the password will not need to be changed.
- See also Information Required to Install DataSelf BI.
Source Database Security
- Give admin user host server read access rights to source data. Required to access source database via ODBC or other data connector.
- The user requires read access to the source database(s) and admin rights to the Microsoft SQL Server instance hosting the DataSelf data warehouse.
- The client does NOT have to tell the installer the password.
- Source database user/password as required. Required for Sage 100. In most cases read access is sufficient.
Microsoft SQL Server Security
- SQL administrator rights to Microsoft SQL Server instance for the DataSelf data warehouse.
Other Host Server Configuration
Configure the server platform hosting the DataSelf BI solution as follows:
- A web browser (IE Explorer, Google Chrome, or Firefox) configured to allow file downloads.
- For Sage 100: do a workstation setup and run to to log onto the target company. This sets up the ODBC driver and the SOTAMAS DSN required for connection to the source database.
- For other non-Microsoft Excel, non-Access data sources: set up a ODBC driver and DSN to those data sources on the server platform hosting the DataSelf BI solution. Name the DSN "DS_SourceName".
Good to Have
Configuration not required but recommended.
- Copy of Microsoft Excel installed. Alternative: Access to a copy on another server on the network.